Wednesday 10 December 2014

A Post About Cakes

This is sort of a weird post because I probably won't be doing another thing like this but I don't really put my cakes up online anywhere and a lot of people always want to see them so this is a post about cakes. As you may or may not know, I work at the Cheesecake shop and sometimes I decorate cakes. here are a few:

Please note! Some of these cakes are ugly. I know. This is a collection from when I just started out until now. Please also note that my boss was a terrible decorator- but she'd tell me what to do and I couldn't really disagree with her on everything so sometimes I just had to make an ugly cake to keep her happy when she was there.


Chocolate cake, Caramel cake, marble cake
Just the standard celebration cake that everyone does

Some number cakes... I find these really difficult still because of the holes in the middle where you have to try scrape the ganache/cream out without ruining the rest of the cake. It's also hard to get the sides perfect with the cream (see number 1 cake) But they look nice in the end :)
#1 cake, Vanilla Sponge, Pink cream
Vanilla sponge with pink flower theme
#8 cake, Blue cream, happy 8th birthday
Chocolate Sponge with Blue Cream
Chocolate mud with choc ganache
Chocolate mud with hot pink highlights
White chocolate mud with clean white finish


Chocolate 10" with celebration decoration
10" with profiteroles and purple highlights
Blue and white striped chocolate 10"

10" Covered in blue ganache with chocolate shells and surfboards (This was one I did with my boss...)

These ones I sort of just put in a weird group, they're just miscellaneously themed..
Frozen themed slab (I had so much fun making this one) There was a heap of edible glitter all over it but the camera didn't pick it up.

Halloween themed birthday, I had the most fun by far putting this one together.


A cute pink midi I did for a little girl

Image made out of chocolate

Engagement Cake
Mother's Day muds



Baby shower cake with chocolate image in the middle. (Josephine helped with this one too.)


I've only ever done 2 Dolly Varden cakes and I like to think that my second one was A LOT better than my first
Dolly Varden 1st attempt
Dolly Varden 2nd attempt


I really love doing tiered cakes. I don't know why I didn't take pictures of some of the other ones I've done but these two are still nice :)

The Chelsea is a really really popular wedding cake at my store, it consists of 4 layers of mudcake covered with fondant imprinted with a 'graceful vine' template.

Pretty self eexplanatory


These last three just ended up at the end so I'll throw them together
This was the first cake I made with a truffle finish. The rustic (messy) look is hard to accomplish because you don't want it to look too messy but you don't want it too clean.

I made this cake for my Dad's 50th with Shane's step mum Debbie at her house. It was so fun to put together even though we had no idea what we were doing.

This cake is actually a rainbow cake with 6 layers of a different colour inside so it would have been an amazing surprise when the cake was cut! The crown is just made out of coloured fondant. 


 I have never actually put these on a cake before but they're so fun to make so I just make a heap in my spare time


Well yes, that is essentially my cake portfolio. It's a shame that I haven't taken more photos but I guess once the novelty of decorating wore off I just stopped taking as many. I'll try take them from now on and add them in. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments!

-Elly

No comments:

Post a Comment